Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Purple Elixir Smoothie

Raw Vegan Green Smoothie: Purple Elixir

When I was a little kid I used to pick the fruit off of our neighbors overhanging pomegranate tree, with permission.  My dad would then cut it open for me and I would sit in the backyard, in the dirt, wearing my army hat as usual, with my toy army men and shovel (I was and sort of still a tomboy), while trying to pick out the little fruit pieces one by one.  My hands would turn a lovely shade of red, which turned my dirt into colorful mud.

The pomegranate is considered a superfood and is much easier to drink it than pick out the fruit pieces, at least in my experience.  It promotes heart health, is a good source of vitamins and is rich in antioxidants, more than other fruit juices, just to name a few.  So it was a no brainer to include 100% pomegranate juice to my green smoothie. 

Raw Rocki's Purple Elixir Smoothie

Along with the healthy pomegranate juice I added blueberries to this smoothie, which I'm sure most of you know is chock full of nutritional benefits as well.  Combined with all the other ingredients, this is one tasty and healthy green smoothie. 

Seriously, this is yumminess at its best!

Purple Elixir - Raw Vegan Green Smoothie
Makes 1 very large tumbler size smoothie (or you can share, if you want)

1 cup pure pomegranate juice (no sugar added)
1/2 cup water
3 oz fresh spinach (around 4 cups semi-loosely packed)
1 cup frozen blueberries (or fresh)
1 large frozen banana cut into chunks
1 rounded Tbs hemp seeds
1 rounded Tbs flax meal 
optional medjool date (if you want it sweeter, but tastes great without)
extra water as needed

Put all ingredients in order, except the extra water, into your Vitamix/blender and blend until you have a smoothie.  The extra water is used if it is too thick and you want to thin it down, just start with a little at a time.  Also, if you don't have a Vitamix you may need to add extra water, depending on how well your blender handles all the ingredients.

One thing about green smoothies, or smoothies in general, is you really can't go wrong. Well... I have actually once, but we won't go there, lol!  So if you don't have all the ingredients on hand, such as the hemp seed, simply have fun and experiment!

Peace,
Rocki

No comments: